For more info on this topic, check out last month’s post A Brief History of Carbon Steel – Part 1Carbon steel wasn’t always the reliable metal that we use for our blind flanges and forged steel rings that we use…
What Are the Components of a Wellhead and What Do They Do? – Part 1
FCI is one of the top wellhead component suppliers in the country, but what are the components of a wellhead and what do they do? This series of blog posts will explain these components and how they work within the…
A Brief History of Carbon Steel – Part 1
Carbon steel first appeared around the year 500 AD in Damascus steel swords as well as Japanese swords. They were prized for their sharp edges and sturdiness compared to other weapons of the era. The composition of these swords was…
Long Weld Neck Flanges – What are They Used for?
Where “standard” weld neck flanges are used extensively for pipes, long weld neck flanges (often abbreviated to LWN) are used in high pressure and high (or fluctuating) temperature situations primarily in the oil and gas industry. The long neck guides…
What is the Difference between ANSI and ASME Flanges?
The short answer is not a lot. ANSI is an abbreviation for the American National Standards Institute, a non-profit organization composed of members from a wide cross-section of individuals associated with them in academia, government agencies, businesses and organizations that…
Seamless Connection Comparison
Advantages of Seamless Integrally Reinforced Forged Connections Versus Multi-Component Fabrication
Vessel Fabrication Advantages
The FCI forged connections simplify shop fabrication by "eliminating" the following:
- Reinforcing pad fabrication- layout, cutting, forming, drilling and tapping of weep hole
- Nozzle neck fabrication- layout, cut & bevel pipe/ layout, cut & bevel, form, weld, inspect plate neck
- Component fabrication- fit and welding of flange to pipe/plate or forged cylinder neck
- Reinforcing pad installation-fit and welding of one/two piece pad to vessel shell and nozzle neck
- Inspection & testing- radiographic inspection, UT, PT, MT, air test and other non-destructive tests and inspections as required of components
- Handling of associated components to and from the various work stations
- Inspection and marking of component material- identification/traceability
Improved Quality Control
Material traceability, component and shop fabrication inspection is reduced, allowing Quality Control Inspectors to direct their efforts to other more demanding/critical areas of concern.
In lighter duty applications, the use of Long Weld Necks eliminates/reduces the possibility of barrel distortion that can occur in pipe necks due to heat input from welding.
Production Cost Reduction Advantages
The FCI integrally reinforced forged connections reduce fabrication production costs in the following areas:
- Material requisitioning, purchasing and expediting of one part verses three parts (pipe, flange and plate)
- Material handling of only one part into stock and then directly into the final assembly of the work
- Inventory control of fewer parts
- Quality control-traceability, inspection, testing, documentation
- Fabrication schedule reduced thereby improving Purchaser's deliveries and internal cash flow
Marketing advantages of utilizing integrally reinforced forged connections:
- Improved and more consistent equipment deliveries to customers due to less variables affecting production
- More consistent pricing of equipment due to estimating of fewer variables
- More competitive pricing a result of by being able to use smaller connections for manways and instrumentation connections as FCI forged connection bores are greater than corresponding nominal pipe sizes, e.g. associated connections may be of a size smaller to accomplish the same result
- Increased sales revenue a result of increased production
- Aesthetic appeal of completed work using seamless connections
- Predetermined cost and guaranteed quality level thus assuring on-target performance for the connection portion of he budget
- Special contour forged insert lips, contour forged with aligned grain flow- imparting maximum strength and toughness, can be specified for applications requiring superior resistance to thermal and mechanical stresses
In addition to the above advantages, quality conscious customers realize that integrally reinforced forged connections possess improved strength and toughness as the connection is forged close to the finished profile.
Contact Us to Start Your ASME Pressure Vessel Connections Forging Project
To receive more information about ASME pressure vessel connections forging and reinforced nozzle manufacturing, please request a quote or call (281) 441-4088 to speak to a Forged Components representative that can answer all of your questions.